By Guest Blogger Eva Rodriguez-Marienchild
Eva is a health and spirituality communicator: an author, editor, translator, poet, artist and teacher. Eva’s specialty is helping folks on the cusp of life-affirming choices. At BeHappyMum, she is helping new moms to design their diverse new lives alongside their apps FitMama and PlayMama; to discover quick, delicious and healthy natural recipes. Eva imparts positive information via voice-overs and in print in both English and in Spanish. (Her books are available under Eva R.-Marienchild.)
So you’ve had your baby and you’ve regained your get-up-and-go. You and baby have been making the rounds with baby safely towed in front of you, papoose style, and, on some days it seems as if you’ve got energy to burn! Wonderful!
Let’s ensure you stay primed for those productive days by chowing down on nutrition-dense foods – even when opting for quick snacks.
The fact that you’re always on the move shouldn’t alter your food choices in the least. And sometimes…read on…a little pre-snack planning goes a long way towards maintaining your energy equilibrium while you’re on the go.
Here are five quick ‘n easy HEALTHY snack ideas for new mums on the go:
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate!
Yum! You absolutely can’t beat the combo of peanut butter and chocolate. Weren’t Reese’s peanut butter cups your fave treat as a kid? Well, here’s a quick ‘n easy way to pair the two now that you’re a mum. (Takes a wee little planning ahead, but WORTH every bite.)
- When you know you’ll be on the go, dash into the kitchen one-half hour to 45 minutes before and ladle two heaping tablespoons of all-natural peanut butter into a serving bowl.
- Grab some Nestle’s Tollhouse Dark Chocolate Powder (it has ZERO sugar) and mix one-quarter teaspoon with the peanut butter.
- Whip until blended.
- Sprinkle some chia seeds or ground flax seeds atop the mixture.
- Mix in touch of coconut oil. Freeze.
- Just before leaving, run into the kitchen and viola! – a classic taste sensation awaits!
2. Sprinkle & Crunch!
There’s nothing like a fresh, crunchy and sprightly green salad with a little goat cheese, soya cheese or even a dollop of cottage cheese to add interest. The fact that you’re always on the move shouldn’t alter your food choices in the least. And sometimes…read on…a little pre-snack planning goes a long
- Sprinkle sea salt or spritz low-sodium soya sauce to taste.
- Sprinkle raw sunflower seeds. Stay away from the salted, roasted seeds to avoid the extra sodium, saturated fats and acrylamides (chemicals caused by the roasting process).
- Takes a few minutes to throw together and it tastes great!
3. Yogurt & What you Fancy!
Greek yoghurt – what more do we need to say? Well, that it should be plain, to avoid the sugars and artificial ingredients.
- Add natural sweetener (like Stevia), raw honey or blackstrap molasses to sweeten.
- Drizzle in some of your favorite natural juice and top with diced walnuts, diced apples and sliced bananas. Grab and go!
4. Tortilla Time!
Love those tortillas?
- Place a whole grain tortilla on a large flat plate.
- Splash some extra-virgin olive oil. Add a few slices of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with basil and sea salt. Add a dash of apple cider vinegar (or lemon or lime if you prefer citrus on your foods).
- Open up a can of prepared black beans. Ladle a few heaping teaspoons atop the tortilla.
- Grab an onion and slice off a piece. Add to the tortilla.
- Wrap it up and bring along a napkin for the drippin’s!
5. Pizza Muffins!
- Open up an alternative English Muffin (check out the healthy alternatives in your grocer’s freezer that look and taste like English Muffins, but have healthier, more natural ingredients) and place the two sides on a piece of foil.
- Add a bit of pizza sauce/tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and oregano.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Pop into your toaster until it starts to smell heavenly! Whip it out and munch away!
There you have it! When your tummy’s growling but you’ve got little to no time to prepare a hot meal…or even a cold one…opt for these fast, delicious and healthy alternatives to an entire meal preparation. Then gently shift your darlin’ baby in his or her sling and munch on one of these five healthy food choices. The energizer bunny in you will be ever so glad you did!
Eva R. Marienchild
We hope you enjoyed Eva’s easy snacks for busy mothers! Ideal for any mother, we all know how busy we get! Especially great for post-pregnancy too where its sometimes difficult but most important to make sure you stay topped up with nutrients and energy boosting ingredients!