Are you new mother? Post pregnancy leaving no time for exercise or MeTime? It’s not just our little ones who need looking after, we now more than ever need more energy and strength and 5 FitMama thigh exercises are perfect for new mums!
No gym, no equipment or previous experience required! Come one Mums lets get our body’s shaped up and feeling great!
Today we focus on Thighs. These easy thigh exercises for home – all from our FitMama app which gives you safe, easy workouts for your each body zone and gives you instructions on how to perform them with maximum effect.
You do not need to exercise all day long – it is proven that exercise is more effective if done little and often! You just need to know how to do them right way and how to avoid mistakes that decrease the effectiveness of these 5 Minute exercises!
Before you start please CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN OR DOCTOR before you start any fitness or yoga activities, especially if you just had a baby.
Main Rules: 5 minutes every day, twice a day for better results. Make sure you learn these right way otherwise done incorrectly the effect cannot be achieved!
1. Hip Whittler!
This exercise is perfect to do in front of the TV or when playing with your baby on the floor or whilst they nap (hopefully!) This helps target your hips which can often become wider and more sensitive after childbirth.
1. Start by lying on your left side with your left leg slightly bent at the knee. Place your head on your left hand, keeping your right hand in front of your body for balance.
2. Lift your right leg up taking care you don’t overextend, with your heel pointing up to the ceiling
You will feel the muscles working in the upper outer part of your moving leg. Repeat this up and down movement 15 times, making sure your right (lifting) leg doesn’t bend. Then turn over and do the other side!
Advanced? Move your right foot towards your face keeping your leg straight and your heel pointing up!
2. Perfect Pins
Still on the floor from the last exercise Mum? Baby still napping or kids nearly finished school? Stay there! This exercise targets your inner thighs and done regularly, can improve the shape of your legs!
1. Lie on your left side with your head on your left hand, keeping your right hand in front of your body for balance. Place your right leg behind your buttocks.
2. Lift your left leg up as high as possible in a smooth motion, keeping it straight and your heel pointing up to the ceiling.
3. Then slowly lower it down making sure your ankle doesn’t touch the floor. Feel the tension in the upper part of your inner thigh.
4. Repeat this movement up and down 15 times. Then turn over to exercise your other leg. In all, you’ll do 3 sets of 15 repetitions on each leg.
Main Tip: Point the heel of your lifted leg towards the ceiling and keep it straight and strong!
3. Buttock Squeezer
The upper area of your thighs is closer to your buttocks which needs exercising to keep your buttocks firm! And when you do this exercise on Step 2 when you lift your abdomen your will find your pelvic region naturally tenses which is great for all women especially those who have just given birth.
1. Lie on your back, bend your knees and put your feet on the floor, keeping your ankles and knees together. Keep your arms by your sides. If you use a mat, hold each side of the mat with your hands and pull them towards your feet during the exercise.
2. Lift your pelvis slightly off the floor, keeping your buttocks higher than your lower back, and clench them together as if you’re trying to flatten a coin between them.
Note: Make sure you’re not using your lower back at all. Only your pelvis should be lifting. Your back should remain in contact with the floor.
3. Release your buttocks as if letting the coin go and without putting your pelvis on the floor.
4. Repeat the squeezing, up and down motion 15 times. In all do 3 sets of 15 repetitions in rotation with the next exercise in this Superset – Thigh Thinner (see below) . If you do this exercise correctly, you’ll feel your muscles warm in your buttocks.
Main tip: imagine you are squeezing a coin between your buttocks and release. Lovely image! And do not lift your chest and back – only your buttocks should lifting.
Advanced? Move your feet further away from your buttocks…
4. Thigh Thinner
This workout firms your inner thighs. Grab a blanket and place under your hips to lift them up and protect your lower back.
1. Lie on your back, lift your legs straight up in the air and put your fists or a folded blanket under your upper buttocks to lift your hips.
Repeat these out and in movements 15 times. In all do 3 sets of 15 repetitions in rotation with the other exercise in the Superset (What is a Superset? Find out here)
Main Tip: Heels should face each other and the straighter your legs, the more effective the exercise.
5. Rear in Gear!
These squats are ideal for working your quadriceps, hamstrings, back of your thighs and buttocks and a great all rounder for general exercise or to help you shape up after pregnancy. It’s also perfect to do in the kitchen holding the work surface or even holding a bench while watching the kids in the park!
1. Stand straight with your arms extended in front of you, and your legs shoulder-width apart
2. Breathe in slowly and lower yourself into a squat, pushing your bottom away from you as if you are sitting back on an imaginary chair. Rest your hands on your stable surface for balance.3. When your thighs are parallel to the floor, breathe out and slowly lift up to the starting position, using your buttock muscles to lift you.
Main Tip: Make sure your knees stay in line with your feet as you squat and imagine you are sitting on chair.
We all know we do not have much spare time once we enter motherhood and become parents…
BeHappyMum, making Apps Just for Mothers.
Mums, we want to know what place in your house you have managed to squeeze the most exercise in? Tell us – the living room, the kitchen, your bedroom?